The VL53L0X is a Time of Flight distance measurements sensors. The VL53L0X can detect the "time of flight", or how long the light has taken to bounce back to the sensor.
The sensor module is based on ST VL53L0X laser-ranging sensor, which measures the range to a target object up to 2 m away with 1 mm resolution. This time of flight using laser beam allows for accurate results whatever the color, shape and material of the target. This gives advantages over the object detection and distance measurements using ultrasonic and Infrared technology.
The sensor can be used in the following applications:
- Object detection with Robots (Robotics)
- Object detection in industrial applications and production lines.
- Hand detection in automatic faucets, soap dispensers, etc.)
- 1D gesture recognition
- User detection for personal computers/laptops/tablets and IoT (energy saving)
- Operating voltage: 3.3V/5V
- Ranging distance: 30 ~ 2000mm
- Resolution: 1mm
- Laser wavelength: 940nm
- I2C interface.